How to find a domain with GEEK YOUR SITE
How to find a domain that is as unique as you are and or your business is easy with GEEK YOUR SITE. If you have an idea to get online or a great name for your website, we recommend registering it immediately before anyone else does. You can use your domain name for your website and email. Your domain name establishes your online identity and increases branding, marketing and communication opportunities.
To get started, check to see if the domain name you want is available. If available, register the domain name for a period of time you specify during the checkout process.
To Check a Domain Name's Availability
- Use the form at the top of the "domains" page, or in the header of any page.
- In the search field, enter the name you want to register, and then select the domain extension from the list.
- Click Search Domain.
If the domain you requested is already registered, we provide available alternative spelling and extensions. For example, you might be able to select a .info or .ws domain extension, rather than .com. Or you could register www.coolexample.info instead of www.coolexample.com.
If your domain is available, follow the instructions to complete the checkout process. Be sure to include valid contact information for each contact. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the governing body for domain names, requires valid contact information (registrant, technical, billing and administrative). If you enter false information, your domain name can be canceled.
Your contact information is public and accessible through the WHOIS database at most registrars. However, you can protect your privacy by registering your domain name with us using our Privacy Protection which gives you complete control of the domain, including the rights to sell, renew, cancel or transfer it.
When you purchase privacy protection, the WHOIS database lists the name of our privacy affiliate company, as well as their postal address and phone number — instead of your personal contact information. For more information about domain privacy, see Private Registration FAQ.
Transfer your domain to GEEK YOUR SITE
You can transfer your domain to GEEK YOUR SITE from another registrar. You'll need to prepare your domain name at your current registrar before completing the steps with GEEK YOUR SITE. If your domain is already registered with GEEK YOUR SITE, you can move your domain to another GEEK YOUR SITE account.
Prepare for transfer
To prepare your domain name for transfer, you'll need to complete a few steps with your current registrar.
- Unlock the domain name with your current registrar.
- Get an authorization code (also known as an EPP code or transfer key) from your current registrar.
- Verify contact information on your domain name. The administrator's contact information may be used by your current registrar during the transfer process.
Initiate the transfer
Once you've prepared your domain name, you can finish the process through GEEK YOUR SITE.
- Search for the domain you want to transfer on the GEEK YOUR SITE website.
Note: Domains are not eligible for transfer to another registrar if they are within 60 days of registration or a previous transfer, or if a customer opted-in to apply a 60-day transfer lock after a Change of Registrant.
- Confirm the domain is unlocked. You'll see a green check mark next to Unlock the domain. If this section is not green, you'll need to verify with your current registrar that your domain is unlocked.
Note: You can refresh the unlock status by selecting the Refresh Status button.
- Enter your authorization code in the second field. If the authorization code entered is valid, you'll get a green checkmark.
- Click Continue.
- Select your domain privacy options, and click Continue.
- Choose your payment method, and click Complete Purchase to finish checkout.
Note: Domain transfers can take 7 to 10 days to complete.
- Check the status of your domain name transfer.
- Transfer stuck or giving errors? Check out our troubleshooting tips.
Domain Alert® Pro BackorderIf the name you want is already registered, you can still own it! Secure your chance to snag up a domain* the instant it becomes available.
- Includes the cost of registering the domain name.
- If you don’t get the name, you don’t lose — just re-assign to another name.